Friday, December 26, 2014

Ending 2014 with a Little...Opening?

Recently, I had a little push from some friends to do an update post. You know, no matter how often we actually speak, text, email, chat...whatever, I'm grateful to everyone who has supported and encouraged me along the way. Over the course, we've smiled, laughed, cried, sat is awe, and even rejoiced. But as time lapsed, I also learned that my journey with breast cancer wasn't just about me fighting cancer... but me preparing to educate, assist, and encourage other fighters and survivors. It still fills me with awe the copious connections I've made... due to my experience with cancer. Guess my willingness to share the intimate details of my care, allowed readers and other connections to find comfort in asking me about their own challenges with cancer. Been thinking about volunteering as a Koman spokesperson. We'll see. So what's going on?- nothing much. My extended treatment has been pretty stable. I take my Tomoxifen every night before bed, see Dr. Rashid and Dr. Menningburg regularly, and get mammograms and MRIs every year. All exams show what we already are cognizant of... There is a mass of benign scar tissues, necrosis. It's my intention to go ahead with a mastectomy and reconstruction but my schedule just doesn't permit at this time. We'll see what 2015 brings. Changes- can occur any time. A couple of weeks prior to Thanksgiving, I noticed some changes in my breast. Still keeping in mind my last mammo was clean and there is significant scar tissue present, I still couldn't help become a little trepid. Last time there was noticeable change... I waited...and waited... was diagnosed with stage 2 triple positive cancer... fought it... and won. I'm blessed to be a survivor but I certainly don't wish to replay the process. So I went ahead and followed up with my surgeon, Dr. Rashid. She ordered a mammo and ultrasound; MRI will be in 2015, insurance policy. Both test revealed nothing other than necrotic tissue. However, while in NY the following week, the area I was concerned about actually opened up. Just like that. I'll spare you the details but there was cause for alarm. Back home, a follow up appointment suggests that the scar tissue has shifted and is the culprit for the disfigurement and open wound. For now- we will allow the wound to heal, wait for my pending MRI appointment, and take my Tomoxofin. I'm bound by faith and trust that my Lord has granted me only 1 physical experience with cancer. He knows I have no problem reading some texts or engrossing others experiences and lectures. LOL! Whatever He has, I'm ready.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, your walk, journey has been a source of strength, education and just pure faith! Thank you for DOING YOU with such grace!

    ReplyDelete