Friday, March 25, 2011

1 Year Ago

Who would have ever guessed!?... that last year I was in the fight of my life. It's been long hard and challenging gut I'm glad to have made it this far, all in all... still doing pretty well.

When this blog was created, I did so with intentions of keeping my friends abreast of my care. Many of you however have asked "how did you find out?" and many other relevant questions about how this all got started. Now the turbulence has settled, I feel that time can now be shared with you.


Early 2009

Yup! that's when the lump was first noticed. No big deal I thought since it seemed to come and go with "Penlope." Instead of guessing, I discussed it with my gynocologist. Her exam concluded that "there may be a lump but it may just be due to your cycle, we'll just keep an eye on it." She said "if there are any changes in size and or shape come back and we'll check it out." No problem. I thought very little of this and really wasn't bothered with her decission.

For the next several month I did as she said. Checking for any changes... feeling and looking at them. As time went on I remember mentioning to A.D. that "the lump no longer seems to go away with Penelope." "It seems like it has gotten bigger." We weren't sure. Another month or so went by and I said nothing. Something inside began to churn and alert me that this isn't normal. Right then all I wanted to do was focus on my upcoming 2nd degree black belt test. A.D., Trey, and I were scheduled to test together for the same belt rank. :) It would have been nice to have such an accomplishment with them.

The week of November 2, 2009, I finally work up enough nerve to tell A.D. it was time to get this lump looked at further. It was now maybe 4-5 times the size it was when it was originally discovered and now disfigured my left breast. Since it was late in the week, the call to the gynacologist would be made on Monday.

November 8,2009

A.D., myself, and another friend met at the Dojong to train. We were preparing for our upcoming 2nd degree test. We were good. :) During our defense drills... I set up for a particular kick, but when I did that. OMG! SNAP!!!!!! my right Achilles Tendon broke. I've heard of this but NEVA imagined it happening to me. I had surgery to repair in, spent several weeks in a cast, even more in a boot, and then physical therapy. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test in December with my crew. A.D. was playing Hoke and driving Ms. Daisy everywhere. LOL! what a time.


February 2010

Finally able to get back behind the wheel, :) so I take iniative to follow up with my gynocolagist. This time she is alarmed approximate diameter of the lump and orders a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound for me. That was completed maybe about 2 weeks later.

I remember the both tech's clearly. They both remained unemotional about the whole thing. So therefore I wasn't expecting anything much... until the tech who directed me to get dressed said "I will send your results to Dr. C. and she will call you either this afternoon or first thing in the morning." It was already late in the afternoon... so that alarmed me that she would call the same day.

The events of the exam was expressed to my husband over fear and worry at this point. "She's just gonna say all is well" he says. My thoughts... if the doctor calls you.... it ain't good.

That evening, my cell rings and I see it's from my doctors office. "Mrs. Merrick, this is _____ from Dr. C.'s office. I have been hunting you down cause the number on file is no longer in service. I called the hospital and got this number from them and it worked. Dr. C. want to talk to you but I had to find you first. She will call you shortly." Despite A.D.'s word of comfort, fear and worry began to set in.

To be continued with "The Call" in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment