Sunday, March 6, 2011

Decissions Decissions

This is a redo cause I somehow or another wasn't able to safe the first one and..... it.... vanished.

As I mentioned to you in my last blog, Dr.S. now wants me to start a new drug, Lupron. It's purpose is to stop my body from ovulating. This drug tells the pituitary gland to send receptors out that inform the body to no longer release eggs. The reason Dr. S. wants to prescribe this med is due to the fact my tumor is hormone receptive...basically hormones (estrogen) are a food source for the type of tumor I had. So, should a tumor ever reappear, there would be no source of nutrients for it grow. This medication would NOT be necessary if I had already gone though menopause. No cycle... no newly produced hormones... nothing to feed new tumors.

The only problem with this is that there are some potentially serious side effects. Side effects that has A.D. kinda in a fickle. Trust me, he has a good argument but I am fine with them.... except one. They are as follows: common ones are Hot flashes, decreased libido; yup, this is my concern. Less common: increased bone pain, breast pain, swelling, weakness, depression, and discomfort at injection site. Rare but significant: congestive heart failure and problems with blood clots.

Honestly, I don't believe there is a drug out there that doesn't have some kind of side effect. Anyway, I was fine with what my doc told me about it why I needed to take this; BUT NOT my husband. He has been somewhat challenging me with questions about it that I honestly couldn't answer. So I got him to speak directly with Dr. S. Even after a 15 minute conference, A.D. still wasn't satisfied with his detailed answers.

That evening A.D. asked if I was going to go though with my appointment for this shot. My response, "yea." He then gives me that "I don't know what else to say to make you reconsider" look and hand gesture. Needless to say, next morning I didn't make it to my appointment, I just couldn't do it with my partner's resent toward it.

Right now with the help of my sister and brother-in-law, we are exploring other possible options. My sister has also somewhat opened a Pandora's box about it as well. Ugh! I'll let you know what I decided...when I decide.

Until then,

peace and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment