Saturday, May 15, 2010

Friday 05/14/10

Ok, I got this call from my oncologist's office on Thursday so I'm guessing this one should determine my treatment plan now. I forgot to tell you guys that I had agreed to do a clinical trail but come to find out the trial was closed for patients like me. They are looking for candidates who are having surgery then chemo, my doctor opted to do chemo then surgery so I didn't fit into the trail anymore.

In the office

OK, just as I thought he's agreed it's time to start normal protocol for treatment. Chemo, surgery, then radiation. Chemo for me will begin next Friday 05/21/10. It consist of 2 chemo drugs that will be giving every 3rd week. Another drug to target my specific cancer will be administered every week. Too many needle pokes so I'll be getting a port. A port is an implanted vascular access device used in patients to prevent vein collapse from the numerous injection sites. Chemo seems like it will last for about the next 4 1/2 months, the other stuff I'll be on for a year.

Y'all... I give my husband flack about taking too much OTC meds for a headache or a cold now I gotta stay on prescriptions for the next 5 years. Oh, didn't tell y'all bout that other major one.

The 5 yr drug

The other drug I'll start after chemo and stay on it for the next 5 yrs. This one supposedly send me into EARLY menopause... guess the good part bout that one is that... hey I won't see "Penelope" every month any more... LOL! :D the down side of course is the flashes I keep hearing my mom talk about and the fact that Ms. P may show up again once my 5 years is up. Remember, it put me into EARLY menopause... I'm still under age for something. LOL!!!!

My Big Concern

Guys, I know there are a lot of people who have to walk this walk,and for each of us the concerns and reactions are different. Now, Y'all know I'm not a crier, though I've had my moment with this matter, but my biggest concern is hair loss. Nah... I didn't cry over the hair it just bugging me that it could shed so much that it would be easier to cut it. One of the counselors suggested cutting it short now so that once... and if.. it starts to shed, it wont be soooo traumatic for me to see the smaller patches. After some thought, I think that's what I'll do. I've always wanted to rock a short do so guess I'll take advantage now and it it shed little to none then I'll just keep it like that. IDK... any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I think that is a great idea. You're able to rock any hairdo & make it look good & if you have at least 10 inches; you can donate it to locks of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. Imma try some kinda short doo. Probably head to the salon next weekend. I'm not sure if I have the 10 inches but if I do that's exactly where it will go. I have a student that is growing his hair for that purpose... I'm so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete