Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kat's Cafe

Ok. So things are going pretty smoothly for me right now and we're all very thankful for that.

My Invite

For a while now, an old friend of mine has been inviting me out to see him and his band perform. I've had very good intention of making at least one performance and promised him many times that I was coming, but something always came up. Well, guess he fool proofed this one. Dwan! I know you're reading... you finally got me this time. LOL! About two weeks ago I received a REQUEST... no longer an invite from Dwan to speak; during intermission; about breast cancer and stir up a little awareness about it. Trust me! I had just about every intention on denying this request simply cause this condition is still fresh for me. I hadn't been given that "you're in remission" talk yet... Shit! I still got A LOT more treatments to go. No, not chemo but there's surgery, radiation, and about 10 months left of Herceptin.

The jist of our Conversation

He informs me that he dedicates at least one show per month towards breast cancer awareness. Reason being that his grandmother had passed last year from this disease and he made her a promise to fight for the cause. My speaking on the subject would mean so much to him and his family, he says. Y'all he really worked this conversation to make sure I would do it... and I did. Yea, there were other influenced that encouraged me to go through with this, including my surgeon.

Friday

After dropping the kids at school and making my Friday morning doctors appointment, I went back home to work on my speech for the evening. It wasn't till then I realized exactly how nervous I was. For those who hang around me know that I usually don't have a problem speaking in front of crowds, it's just that now I'm being asked to talk about my cancer. Well, if I mess up all I have to do is what was advised to me... go into my element and break out with some Choi Kwang Do moves. LOL! I'm sure that will leave the crowd baffled. LOL

The Show


This guy Dwan is baaad as eva on the sax. Awesome night. A.D., my mom, Ericka, and Susie came out to support me. :) My time on the stage didn't quiet go as planned but it went well enough. I hated that I didn't get to tell a better story about my hair loss with Trey's tree analogy. If you need a refresher on this story just go back to "Hair Cutting Time." OMG! Once I exited the stage, it's like I became a mini celeb. LOL! Quiet a few people came over to show some love and support,... including my girl Nekori who I had no idea was going to be there. She's been following my stories and secretly decided to come out to support me. I know you reading to Nekori... Thanks :)


That was pretty much it for the evening and guess I did Dwan proud. He's tryna get me to come to another show of his to tell my story again.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you did it Mel. As fresh as you are into your journey someone listening is probably JUST starting theirs and you never know what kind of effect you had on them. Kudos!

    P.S. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete