Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Surgery Day

I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready.... I'm ready. Just convincing myself that I am, but truthfully.... I'm don't want another surgery. I've had enough! Guess this is one of those necessary evils. UGH! Cancer is a BITCH!

The Night Before

I didn't eat anything after midnight and put the antinausea patch behind my ear as instructed. Put my jammies on and went to bed. One problem, I wasn't able to fall asleep and stay there. I kept having some sort of weird dreams. Needless to say it wasn't till close to the time to get up that I was in a deep sleep. Ok fine, I'll just take a quick nap while I'm in triage waiting. That'll work for me.


At the Hospital

Comprehensive Breast Center

We (my husband, mother and I) got to Dekalb about 5 minutes late. My girlfriend Susie met us there. She came to be supportive. Thanks Lady. :)

First part of the morning began with visit from radiologist and his nurse. The nurse took some pics with the mammogram machine. NOPE! I don't know what it's technical name is. The nurse, doctor, and I were please at how much the tumor had shrunk. Now, he had to place a long wire thing into my breast in order for the surgen to easily identify the area being removed. He calls himself tryna numb up the are but even that med burned. After placing the wire where it needed to be, they taped a styrofoam cup around it. NOooo not my breast, I got toooo much to fit in there. LOL. Just the wire that's sticking out. Doc make small talk with us and orders a wheelchair for my transport over to the Outpatient Surgery Building.

Outpatient Surgery Building

I ended up in room #16... The same room my mother was in last week Tuesday. Talk
about de ja vu. humph...Here I got dressed in another hospial gown, used the facilities, and got my vitals taken. Dr. R; my surgeon; came to explain the procedure. She plans on making an incesion under the breast to remove the tumor and another under the arm... But! she plans to remove all the lymph nodes under arm. She explains that I will never be able to have my blood pressure, needles or anything restrictive on that left arm again. It would cause another condition call Lymphedema. OUTSTANDING!

Operating Room


The staff rolls me to O.R.#6. Damn! wasn't I just here!!?? The room is just as I remembered it. Few staff members bustling around getting ready for me. The anisthesiologist says to me "you'll be out shortly." As soon as I felt myself drifting I said to him "see you later, I'm leaving now." He turns to me and he chuckles... "yes you are."

Surgery Complete

Of course I have no recollection of what had happened around me. All I knew was that my throat was sore/ dry as heck and my upper left side was in a lot of pain. The nurse hooked me up with some painkillers, went over the discharge, and sent me on my way.

At home

No lie, I went straight to bed... with a some help from A.D. cause I was still too drugged up to make it up the stairs by myself. LOL! we all just relaxed for the rest of the evening... At least that's what I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment